Saturday, July 07, 2007

Librarians as Social Activists

Or so says the New York Times. Personally, I'd be happy if librarians were more at home with the Loeb classics collection than with the latest e-cause. Of course there's also a bias issue with leftist librarians - they filter (subconsciously or not - and I'm leaning towards not) the sort of information they expose their patrons to. That danger is borne out if one browses through the institutional reports over at Campus Watch, where it becomes evident that politicized librarians produced politicized resources - like the resource website created by a Duke librarian that referred to Hamas and Fatah as political organizations. Keep an eye on your local bookworm, though if their head is buried in Chomsky, I'm not entirely sure who you should complain to.

(h/t The Corner)

1 comment:

winslow said...

I'm a librarian and I filter content. Just last week, for example, I chose not to add a book that sang the praises of the lesbian lifestyle. It had good reviews, of course.