Monday, July 31, 2006

Senatorial Sanity?

I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be applauding Chuck Schumer's actions, but today might be that day! According to a report in the New York Sun, a source close to the nutball from New York says there will be no fillibuster of John Bolton's confirmation. Yes, Bolton currently is serving as US ambassador to the UN, but only as a recess appointment; he must now be confirmed by the Senate. The report from Schumer's office, if true, means that he'll quickly be voted in (though if I had to guess, largely along party lines). But the report isn't the herald of a return to sanity among Democrats, who still quietly adore the UN and believe it's working (lalala I can't hear you lalala seems to be their refrain when confronted with details like, oh, the oil-for-food scandal and its kickbacks). Rather, I think the Bolton decision is election-year politicking, primarily to avoid riling up the Republican base (who feel that the UN is broken and a waste of money, "rat hole" was the term that Ron Paul used, I believe). Of course for the GOP it's a welcome break as it won't force moderate Senators into the unenviable position of having to vote for cloture. What will be interesting to see is how Joe Lieberman votes. I suspect, being a man of principle, he'll vote for Bolton despite the likely pressure from the Lamont/Kos crowd to do otherwise.

No comments: