Thursday, July 26, 2007

My First Musings on Turkey's Elections

Not really - made you look! I'm still trying to locate my Turkish correspondent, who is part of Citigroup's summer slave labor ("associate") program and thus incommunicado. In the meantime, while I pool my own thoughts and those of the blogosphere, check out Derb's view of the Turkish national psyche. I'd agree with both points, especially the former, and he fails to mention at all Turkey's hostility to Greece (manifested most recently in the tensions over Cyprus) which may perhaps be more a characteristic of Turks from the western part of the country, especially Istanbul. Further, my sense is that among the nation's elite, secularism is still deeply ingrained.

So maybe this is my first Turkish musing; there will be more (and in honor of that, note the new Turkey tag).

No comments: